Of the first apps that I always install on my, Mac is VLC. This video player is already a classic among many users of both MacOS and Windows.
It is because the one that comes by default does not support all types of videos, VLC does it and always works. It does not mean that it is perfect, it has a jammed interface five years back and adds new features to droppers. IINA, a new player, meets all these needs.
A new player that has just arrived at its first stable version. It is free and is intended for users of macOS and current versions of the operating system.
In a very summarized way: a modern VLC. While some players work well but lack design and others have an incredible design but fail to work, IINA has both.
According to its official website :
IINA was born to be a modern macOS application, from its framework to the user interface.
The characteristics that make IINA the ideal player
The first time they spoke to me about IINA, I was a bit skeptical. I thought I did not need a new player already having VLC. Do I have to say that after a few days of use, it is worth making the change . Why? It has a series of characteristics that make you stay with it:
- PiP mode: That is, the image inside the image. This allows opening a floating and persistent window of the video so that we can move by macOS while the video continues reproducing in a corner of the computer.
- Dark mode: Essential in a video app where we do not want the rest of the interface to stand out more than the video itself. But especially essential in macOS Mojave, one of its main features is the dark mode.
- Customizable: Both the interface and the functions and the way in which we want to reproduce the content can be customized. Small details such as the format of the window and the subtitle language or more basic things such as where we want the playback bar to be, for example.
- Touch Bar and gestures for trackpad and mouse: Part of the advantages of being a modern player is its support for modern functions. IINA is compatible with the Touch Bar, with the buttons for playing keyboards and with gestures for the trackpad and the mouse.
- Automatic subtitle search: Essential for many users, to be able to automatically have subtitles for series and movies that are in another language. IINA finds them instantly on the Internet and adds them to the video, in the language that we specify.
- Local playback, streaming, and YouTube: In addition to video files from our computer, IINA can also play videos that are on the Internet or streaming, just specify the URL where they are. The same for YouTube playlists.
- Open source: This is a project that is in continuous development and therefore will implement new functions whenever possible. For this, the project is open source and of course, it is a free app.
If you want to give it a try you just have to go to the official IINA website and download the application for macOS. Free App and which of course we will have to follow closely in the coming years.